Bolt Keypad - FAQ

Interested in Bolt Keypad.

Wonder what the discount for us backers are?
When and Where do you send the voucher?
What if I order the keypad today?

Also:
How do I install it?
How does it work, sends a command to Bolt?
International shipping? Price?
Works over the internet with bridge?
Logs via Lockitron app? Add codes to users?
How does it work outside bolt, bluetooth, wifi, bridge, separate motor?

No NFC reader to use with smart cards?

@TrulsZK thanks for the great questions, want to hop on these to help others wondering the same (currently in Taiwan visiting the factory, so I will probably head to bed after this):

Wonder what the discount for us backers are?

Significant but no yet disclosed.

When and Where do you send the voucher?

When we’re much closer to shipment, to the account you placed your order under.

What if I order the keypad today?

I don’t recommend that; our ecommerce system doesn’t allow for applying coupons after the fact (although we aren’t charging for Bolt Keypad up front until the ship date is nailed down).

How do I install it?

Installation for U.S. backers will be the same - is’t a full replacement lock (so for international backers drilling a new hole, it’s also nearly the same).

How does it work, sends a command to Bolt?

Yes, it connects directly to Bolt.

International shipping? Price?

No yet announced but likely close to Bolt, mainly due to weight (the keypad will weight around the same as Bolt alone!)

Works over the internet with bridge?

Yes, the two will be integrated.

Logs via Lockitron app? Add codes to users?

Yes to logs and more on user management later.

How does it work outside bolt, bluetooth, wifi, bridge, separate motor?

It connects to Bolt in the door prep. This is why we’re highlighting that every Bolt we ship in November is “Keypad Ready”

@cameron
Thanks Bolt keypad is a replacement deadbolt, stand alone device compatible with bolt, not just an accessory to bolt (like bridge) (but works with bolt?
How will it work without bolt? Separate motor, PCBs
How will it connect (bluetooth, wifi, etc
If I get both bolt and bolt keypad I have one standard US deadbolt left?
So keypad will work without bolt and vice versa?

@TrulsZK

It looks like Bolt Keypad is an accessory to Bolt.

When @Cameron says it connects through the door prep, that means that the wiring goes through the same hole as the deadbolt.

Let me see if I can draw something up to explain it.

Edit: So my drawing skills are not what I thought they were.

Regular Bolt has a few pieces, just like traditional locks.

On the outside of the door:
Cylinder/Keyway
Cylinder Collar/Cover

Then in the middle of the door:
Deadbolt
Strike Plate

Then inside the house:
Bolt control unit
Thumbturn

With Bolt Keypad, the Cylinder Cover gets replaced by the Keypad unit. Just like the cover would, the attachment screws will hold it in place on the outside of your door.

To connect Bolt Keypad to the Bolt control unit, a cable will go from the back of the keypad, through the hole in the door that holds the deadbolt. This will connect to the inside of the Bolt control unit on the door.

Even if you get Keypad or not, the connector is on every Bolt Production unit. This means that every lock that ships is automatically compatible, without having to buy a new lock.

This picture from Schlage helps illustrate some of these parts in a regular deadbolt.

@anthonylavado @TrulsZK exactly; Bolt Keypad is either a full replacement lock ($149 retail) or the Keypad is sold as an accessory to Bolt ($49 retail).

@cameron
There is two models
Acessory to bolt $49
Stand alone device $149

The acessory is a keypad connected to bolt vis what? A cable?
I control everything from the app?
Send commands to bolt?

Stand alone device is a full desdbolt (like the bolt) has seperate motor, PCBs, etc?
How does the stand alone device connect, bluetooth?
Installs simular to bolt?
Compatable with bridge?

Is it possable to lock the door without code, just press lock button?

@TrulsZK

The acessory is a keypad connected to bolt vis what? A cable?

Yes.

I control everything from the app?

You can lock and unlock via the app or via the keypad with Bolt Keypad.

Send commands to bolt?

Yes; via the app or Keypad.

Stand alone device is a full desdbolt (like the bolt) has seperate motor, PCBs, etc?

Yes; it is Bolt + the Keypad on the outside (remember, Keypad is on the outside and the main image we always show of Bolt is on the inside). Bolt = Bolt Keypad - Keypad. Same hardware, just comes in one box.

How does the stand alone device connect, bluetooth?

Standalone Bolt Keypad connects via Bluetooth to your phone, the same as Bolt. Really, it is Bolt, just with a Keypad on the outside of the door.

Installs simular to bolt?

Yes, nearly identical.

Compatable with bridge?

Yes, anything that works with Bolt, works with Bolt Keypad.

Is it possable to lock the door without code, just press lock button?

Yes :smile:

Question about how two Lockitron Bolts would work together

Edit: I see @cameron got to the questions before I did. The joys of typing on mobile :smile:

@TrulsZK @anthonylavado we need some pictures of Bolt and Bolt Keypad side by side. I think that there is a bit too much confusion given we always show the inside of the door.

Thanks @cameron
The stand alone model is simply a bolt with the keypad accessory?
In the box stand alone
Bolt + keypad?

The accessory is a device on the outside connected to bolt on the inside?
In the box accessory just keypad?

I assign codes via the app to a user? With same settings as phone/email. Time limit etc?

Where and how do I order the keypad with my discount?

@TrulsZK

The stand alone model is simply a bolt with the keypad accessory? In the box stand alone Bolt + keypad?

Yes.

The accessory is a device on the outside connected to bolt on the inside?

Exactly.

In the box accessory just keypad?

Yes.

I assign codes via the app to a user? With same settings as phone/email. Time limit etc?

Yes; more on how this will work later, but essentially you get the same ability to bound by time.

Where and how do I order the keypad with my discount?

We haven’t announced the discount nor set up the right order page for this yet. Once we confirm when Keypad will be shipping early next year we’ll have more details.

Is the keypad waterproof? Since it is on the outside of the door can it get wet?

@edenwinter yes, it’s weatherproof however I wouldn’t recommend it for very harsh conditions, i.e. directly next to an ocean or where it’s likely to ice over. Will follow up on this with more, I believe we should have some specific data from the factory on recommended conditions.

This could happen in Canada. Interested to hear what the environmental specs are for Keypad.

@anthonylavado we believe that it should work in cold weather in a sheltered scenario, however, if you have blowing rain that ices onto it there might be issues. We’ll run through testing on this and report back.

that would be a test id need to hear of because my front door has a huge wide open area infront of it so it gets all the cold wind snow and rain. especially here in the great white north lol

This is great. I cant wait for keypad. Im going to use ifttt with it to disarm my scout alarm if unlocked by pin on keypad, if that will be possible? I dont want to disarm my alarm if my door was unlocked by key because of the whole bumpkey thing. Also, will the keypad be backlit?

@Jason_Silva does Scout have a disarm action on IFTTT?

We’ll need to dial in the granularity, but I suspect the best way to do this would be to disarm by user. I.e. if you unlock (via pin code or app), disarm. The Keypad is backlit.

Yes, scout does allow to arm and disarm via ifttt, so i was hoping that using the pinpad on bolt would disarm my scout alarm by ifttt. Just because there are some people without phones so using an app wouldnt be an option. But it would be cool to do other things with ifttt and lockitron. Like, if door is unlocked, turn on a light. Or if door is locked turn down nest temperature. Or if door is locked turn off devices. Theres alot of cool things you can do. If everything works of course.

Hi
Does the Bolt Keypad support NFC(so I can use my NFC ring)?