Lockitron

Bolt security, HomeKit, and Mortise compatibility

Three questions:

1. While the Bolt replaces the entire lock, I can’t seem to find any information on how secure it is/how it’s designed. Maybe I’m missing something, but er, it’d be nice to know how good a lock it is, especially for those of us who have insurance/regulatory requirements for locks to contend with.

2. HomeKit support is a pretty big deal for me, especially if I have to replace my entire lock/handle (see below) to do it. Though Lockitron seems to be interested in this, the information that’s out there so far on HomeKit strongly implies that unless Lockitron is getting the Bolt fully MFi certified, it won’t be something that can be added later.

3. I’m a Brit and my door has a Mortise lock. I’d like to know exactly what I need to change/replace in order to get a Bolt. I figure this is likely to be a bit annoying, but if it’s doable without needing an entirely new door/without a kludgey/ugly workaround, I figure I can deal with it.

@hop responses inline below:

• While the Bolt replaces the entire lock, I can’t seem to find any information on how secure it is/how it’s designed. Maybe I’m missing something, but er, it’d be nice to know how good a lock it is, especially for those of us who have insurance/regulatory requirements for locks to contend with.

Bolt Production will meet ANSI Grade 2 standards; we will offer a number of Key Match cylinders which may alter the security based on the type of keyway. We’ll have more on this later. We unfortunately can’t comment on whether or not Lockitron meets insurance requirements in the U.K. as they differ significantly from the U.S. where free egress is always important regardless of whether you’re a thief or not.

• HomeKit support is a pretty big deal for me, especially if I have to replace my entire lock/handle (see below) to do it. Though Lockitron seems to be interested in this, the information that’s out there so far on HomeKit3 strongly implies that unless Lockitron is getting the Bolt fully MFi certified, it won’t be something that can be added later.

We are investigating all home automation standards at the moment and have all the information needed to make informed decisions on what systems Lockitron will interact with. A lot of providers here claiming HomeKit support do not appear to be doing so with an understanding of what that means.

• I’m a Brit and my door5 has a Mortise lock. I’d like to know exactly what I need to change/replace in order to get a Bolt. I figure this is likely to be a bit annoying, but if it’s doable without needing an entirely new door/without a kludgey/ugly workaround, I figure I can deal with it.

You’ll likely need to remove all existing lock mechanisms and install a U.S. style deadbolt and door handle. In most cases this involves drilling new holes. You might be able to place Bolt above your existing lock and use the mortise in a passageway mode, however, we typically don’t recommend international installations unless you are installing a completely new door or have done a bit of research on installing a U.S. style deadbolt.

1 Like

Do you have size dimensions of the bolt/locking part of the Bolt. Excuse my lack of knowledge of the correct terminology. My builders have asked for the size of the the lock so that my door can be made to fit the lockitron bolt.

Thanks

@edenwinter take a look at http://help.lockitron.com/article/97-how-does-lockitron-bolt-preview-compare-the-production-edition-of-bolt

@cameron that page only has the size dimensions for the unit that attaches to the back of the door. How big is the locking mechanism that slides into the frame? How big should the hole in the frame be?

Thanks

@edenwinter Lockitron Bolt uses a standard U.S. style door prep and has an adjustable backset for the two most common backsets.

The cross bore through the door and into the frame is 1" (about 25mm) in diameter. Again, this is standard to a U.S. style door prep. I would recommend you direct your builders to a standard door prep that would accommodate any tubular/cylindrical style lock. Here are some more links on that: