Lockitron Community

Bolt - Shipping Updates


Ok good because I picked Satin Nickel (Preview)


@DGMurdockIII yes, all of those on the way. They will arrive in Quicksilver packaging (since it was a limited SKU we didn’t design another wrap for the box), and are otherwise are the same as production units save finish.


[quote=“cameron, post:307, topic:2110, full:true”]
@antiflash support@lockitron.com would be able to offer additional help. I recommend noting that your order should have been shipped as it was one without Bridge; we have these in stock.

Just to let people know that I contacted support again and after they usual “we will put you on queue for next shipment” this time I had the pleasant surprise of a shipping notice soon after that!! Even if 17 weeks is a lot to wait for something that was promised in 1-2 weeks at least I can confirm this is not a scam. Hopefully they can fix their production and shipping problems to provide better experience for their customer. Now as an owner I can only wish them well (for continued support and updates) but I’ll just hold my recommendation to interested friends and family until I see in this tread they have sort out the shipping issues. Good luck Lockitron!


@cameron will our dashboards be updated. Mine hasn’t changed since the day that it was created so I could keep track of the progress of my order. “Your Lockitron’s PCB is complete. It’s currently awaiting lock components of your color finish and assembly.”


@ejulien we weren’t planning on it; if you have a domestic order, make sure your address is up to date as your unit may ship at any time once the container comes in a week or two.


A post was merged into an existing topic: Refund Questions


Any chance as a Canadian quicksilver only bolt preorder i will see my order before end of year ? I paid 30 dollars for shipping plus bolt price. Or do you have to go through all international orders first to see if charges outstanding before shipping any. Thanks for the continual updates Cameron


@Mike328 we’re going to be working on Canadian orders first because they’re the bulk of our international and expect fewer issues with customs. That said, I don’t have an exact expectation for when we’ll be able to work through all of them to verify. If you paid $30 then you should be all set; we can easily filter folks who preordered Bolt directly, it’s the migration orders that will take time.


Can I please get an update, I ordered a unit, I was told I would get it in October, via email and its mid November and still no end in sight, been waiting since 2011 kind of crazy.


@Mac_Gurus first crowdfunded Lockitron was announced in 2012 :stuck_out_tongue:

See http://blog.lockitron.com/post/153060435087/all-backer-units-complete-production-keypad-tips - all units for backers are on the way.


20 months since I ordered the bolt/bridge and still waiting and waiting and waiting…:disappointed:


A post was merged into an existing topic: Refund Questions


…see above. They’re coming.


@cameron I see on Twitter that the container arrived yesterday :slight_smile: which of the Bolt Quick-Silver units arrived are for Canadian international backers who were migrated? I was migrated in 9/8/2016 (order: 101940992), original Lockitron backer from 7/24/2014, will mine be shipped out from the units received yesterday?

Keep up the good work @cameron and Lockiton Team!


@josh.stuckey we’ll be segmenting off a bunch for Canadian backers but as noted previously we still need to work on sorting out the shipping cost difference before we start those shipments.


@cameron interested buyer here… and Ive taken a look at the product details and it fits my needs very well, but I have a concern about timelines for shipping. What sort of timeline might someone in Canada face if I was interested in the Bolt+Keypad+Bridge. Also going through the buy online option it shows a final sale price including shipping for $262.75 USD can I assume that will be the final price or will it ‘change’ due to the international shipping challenges that Ive read you guys have been happening?



@dattrill Keypad hasn’t completed tooling yet, so we don’t have the exact timeline but expect to later this month. If you order without Keypad it’s looking like the end of the month but the shipping cost calculation might take longer.

All new orders since 2015 included the correct shipping amount, so there wouldn’t be any issues there.


@cameron are you planning on shipping the bridge separately for Canadian backers who ordered the Bolt + Bridge?


@josh.stuckey that’s a really good question. We’re trying to evaluate the cost side of doing this now vs timing. We might need to offer Canadian backers a choice (i.e. Bolt sooner and paying a bit extra or both later).


Hi folks - a quick update here; we’re cleaning up our orders system which is a bit of a mess at the moment; units are getting readied for shipment so we’re working to get this done ASAP.

Domestic folks should expect emails soon asking to confirm their shipping info (once more).

These improvements should also help us with the postage issue on international orders - first on Canadian orders.