Lockitron Community

Bridge interference

Can Lockitron Bolt operate smoothly when using Lockitron Bridge, as well as, Bluetooth simulatenously? In otherwords, seemlessly switching between the two signal types, namely WiFi and Bluetooth? Is there a way to accompish this? I have found that this is not true.

Thanks,

Nick

I have found it does work, with a minor exception.

If you direct the bridge to open/close the lock, it does so via bluetooth and holds on to the bluetooth connection for a short amount of time. During that time, no other bluetooth client can interact with the lock.

This also happens if two people try to command the lock simultaneously from two bluetooth devices – only one will get through and the other gets some sort of error.

If I understand the LEDs on the Bridge correctly, you can determine if the Bridge is hogging the bluetooth connection if the blue led is on.

This is my experience, someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for the response jjd! So, if I send a WiFi command from my iPhone Lockitron app to my Bridge (that is setup) it will open/close the Bolt through a Bluetooth connection?

My confusion stems from the Lockitron app setup on all our phones which is WiFi and not Bluetooth. When a phone’s Lockitron app switches to Bluetooth it cannot control the Bolt lock. I hope this message is clear.

The only solution I can find at the moment is to keep the phone’s bluetooth setting off. Please advise.

Nick asks:
Thanks for the response jjd! So, if I send a WiFi command from my iPhone Lockitron app to my Bridge (that is setup) it will open/close the Bolt through a Bluetooth connection?

Right. The Bolt only communicates with the outside world via bluetooth. The purpose of the Bridge is to provide a wifi interface to allow devices that only speak wifi (or ar too far away) to use bluetooth.

You should be able to tell from the display on the phone’s Lockitron app which it is going to use. On my Android app, there’s a little icon in the lower right corner that either shows a wifi icon or a bluetooth icon. As I approach the Bolt, it switches from wifi to bluetooth.

It is very odd that you can’t communicate via bluetooth. Something must be wrong in the setup/configuration. Perhaps you should remove the lock from your account and re-add it to make sure it is paired with the phone properly.

I have the opposite problem - usually only the Bluetooth works because my Bridge has become flakey.

Good luck.