Lockitron Community

IFTTT Integration

Turned on the preview channel for Lockitron in IFTTT and am eagerly awaiting testing it out this evening when I arrive home. I have my Automatic - http://www.automatic.com/ set up to trigger when I arrive at my home, to unlock the lockitron and send me a notification. If my ignition is turned on at my house, automatically lock the lockitron and send me a notification.

I believe it may fail unless its already awake - so if we can get the addition to the V2 API, to customize the wake/sleep schedule of the lockitron that would be ideal.

For me the ideal way this would work, is that I could set up a custom schedule with multiple entries. Each entry would include a start time to wake up, and an end time to go back to sleep. I would want to add 2, perhaps three discrete entries, for the weekdays and and additional set of entries of the weekends, and holidays, etc. The typical weekday schedule would have 3 windows, morning, midday and evening - where the device would wake up and stay awake till the specified time. This would allow the triggers for web hooks, and IFTTT integration to function properly - right now IFTT and webhooks are barely useable if at all because the devices are always asleep.

I am even willing to sacrifice battery life for the ability to have the WiFi on longer if required.

1 Like

@rhall thanks for the feedback - at the moment Lockitron is definitely better suited for posting event driven stuff to you rather than sending pending commands down.

The first version of the sleep control will be pretty rudimentary - sleep & wake as needed, but not by schedule (you would need to set up a script to call the API each time you want to wake Lockitron up more frequently vs. sleep it). Once we open up this endpoint we will give some rough guidelines on how long you should/can keep Lockitron awake without running down the batteries to quickly.

0 Likes

Notifications, Geofencing, Scheduling, Sense/Bluetooth

Hi Cameron,

No problem. Understood - thanks for the extra info on how it will work.

One additional request then. I will likely end up running an external power source to the lockitron (tie in to the power source from doorbell with a step down transformer to take the 10-35 volts and step down to 6v) and wire that up. At that point, I’d like to be able to go ahead and tell the device to always stay awake since its no longer running on battery power. So, that would be an ideal addition to the API for those of us willing to set up an external power source.

I’m actually going to look into using a wireless induction coil system, so that I actually don’t have to run wires to the door or lockitron directly - just connect up to the doorbell wiring in the frame and position the charge coil that would use the doorbell voltage near the deadbolt and the other coil wired up to the lockitron to charge some high quality Panasonic/Sanyo Eneloop 1.2v NI-MH batteries as needed (cutting out when full). If I can work out the positioning properly so that when the door is closed it will charge via the coils as needed and will run on the battery power in the limited time its actually open and not charging over the wireless induction coil. Witricity has some resonance based induction coils that can charge at a distance (expensive though for their evaluation kits) - Using a little wiring, it would be easy enough to position regular induction coils at a point where when the door is closed they would function. That would actually be a pretty sweet setup.

In any case, having the ability to tell it to never sleep would be a welcome addition.

0 Likes

Any Success With External Power Source?
Installing Lockitron with a Weiser lock

@rhall that sounds pretty awesome, would love to take a look! Yes, the sleep command will allow you to put Lockitron in a perpetually “on” state.

If you are looking at rechargeables, I recommend removing the battery box and using a Lithium battery. The NiMHs unfortunately have not held up well in Lockitron usage - they seem to give 2-3 good cycles after which they simply can’t supply enough current (even if the voltage remains high). Additionally, we have a hardware low-voltage cutoff that is likely well below the NiMH’s full capacity discharge (we haven’t properly characterized the NiMH in the same way we have Lithiums and Alkalines to give a good indications of “low battery”). In either case you will need to add a charging circuit as well.

1 Like

Cool - that is great that it can be put into a perpetually “on” state - thanks for the info!

Thanks also for the tip about the NiMH batteries - good to know. I’d likely look at rechargeable Lithium Polymers then - just more expensive than the NiMH. I will be taking a look at components to get this setup - may even take apart an old Braun toothbrush I have to snag the induction coil out of it as a test - and then look for a proper set of induction coils and see what I can come up with - will be sure to share back here what I find.

Any recommendations on a maximum voltage and minimum milliamp to push for the power source? Lithium rechargeable tend to come in 3.7v and 7.4v packs - would the 7.4v pack be too much? Would I need to pop in a voltage regulator to step down to 6v?

0 Likes

@rhall 7v is around the top end of the threshold for what’s “safe” with out of the box settings. Conversely, 3.7v is just above our voltage cutoff and may give you other issues (although fresh cells spec’d for 3.7v can start over 4v).

We’ve had trouble with the fresh Energizer Ultimates (which of course are slightly different chemistry than rechargeables) which can do over 1.7v out of the box. I believe our new calibration settings allow us to dial down the power, thus making higher voltages “safe” and negating the need for a regulator.

We’ve successfully run Lockitron on low-end power supplies spec’d for 2A; Lockitron momentarily needs to supply upwards of 1.5A to overcome static friction just as it starts turning your lock. Depending on your lock it will need to supply 0.4-1.2A during a lock or unlock cycle.

1 Like

Any Success With External Power Source?

Hi Cameron - awesome thanks for the detailed information- this really helps.

Looks like it will need to be a pair of 3.6v Lithium-Ion with a voltage regulator to keep the output around 6v. The charging will be more complicated with lithium-ion compared to NiMH…

Well, Im definitely going to try a wired power source first - and then see if I can tackle the lithium-ions with induction loop charging. Will see where I get with all this :smile:

Thanks again!

0 Likes